* Soak the Wakame and Shitake mushrooms in 1 cup of spring water (be sure to rinse off your Shitake mushrooms first). Slice the mushrooms once they have rehydrated, but first remove and get rid of the hard stems, leaving the caps to be sliced in to thin strips.
* Add the remaining 4 cups of water to the pot along with the water you used to hydrate the seaweed and the mushrooms (this water is important ’cause it’s got all the mineral from the seaweed in it).
* Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
* Remove about a 1/4 cup of the broth and add the Miso to it, pureeing the Miso into the water by using a spoon (I use my soup ladle). Once it’s blended and dissolved I add it all back into the soup allowing it to SIMMER not boil, for less then 5 more minutes.
* Serve and garnish with scallions!